Monday, October 7, 2013

Conference was amazing!

Conference was amazing!  On Saturday we went to see the Saturday morning (5 p.m. our time) broadcast live at the stake building. On Sunday we watched the recording of the priesthood session and a recording of the second Saturday broadcast. We then watched the live showing of the first Sunday session. But I still haven't seen the second session from Sunday because it wasn't until 9:00 at night so we will have to watch it in our free time.
We didn't get to see Todor this week. We invited him to conference but he cancelled.
This week has been mainly inviting people to conference and cleaning up old records to work more efficiently.   We met Frank and his wife and they have met with missionaries before and Frank has read the Book of Mormon 3 times already and they are really interested!
This week went by super fast! It feels like yesterday that I just emailed you. We learned more instruction to use family history to help with finding people and its pretty interesting. We also have been doing a lot of walking and chapping. We met a man named Grim from Tori and he loved talking to us about family and stories that he remembered when he was younger. We had a lot of people cancel on us this week, its a huge bummer, and the work hasn't been that easy but that's okay because I'm still learning. I'm still learning a lot from Elder Howie. This week was kind of boring, nothing really eventful happened. But, I just have to keep on working. Next week we are going to go by a lot of less actives and do a lot of service for them.
One thing that I've noticed about myself is that I really miss the little things and they are way more important to me now. I know I shouldn't be thinking about what I'm going to be doing after my mission, but let's just say I have a long list. I love you mom and dad! I have printed off almost all of dad's emails and read them sometimes.  I love you with all my heart, Mom!

There's a youtube video called "Keith's Dream" from when a whole group of us helped the man in the wheelchair up the mountain the second week of my mission.  I can't watch it but you should be able to find it.
LINK TO VIDEO #1:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUjyKouZkQ
LINK TO VIDEO#2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkIeFQPbu6Q

Handwritten letter home dated Sept 30-Oct 6, 2013, received October 12, 2013
Dear Family,                                                                                        Aberdeen
Sept 30, 2013
Today was a day of growth.  Elder Howie and I got done emailing and shopping and then he decided for the day we were going to clean the fridge.  So that's what we did for our p-day and let me tell you, he is teaching me about patience.  But I've also decided to memorize all the scriptures you send me for encouragement because I listened to a talk that said if you memorize scriptures and always keep it in your heart you will gain the attributes from it and you will also be able to recall it when you most need it.

Oct 1, 2013
Today was a good day!  I was reading Ether 12:27 and it talks about if we come to Him then he will show us our weaknesses so that when we feel weak sometimes because we are meant to turn those into strengths.  I was thinking about the Shaytards video on Mormon.org and it made me miss watching their videos really bad.  It also made me miss home and the summer and it made me really want to have that, just thinking of having a campfire with the whole family talking and dad making dutch oven food on the 4th of July and many other details that I have thought thoroughly through but I decided to make a bucket list of all the things I missed and change them to goals and putting them on paper is just helping so I can say, "You don't need to always think about it, you have it here and it can wait for a little."  So now it's a strength because I have a goal of making all that happen and I know I will get at it if I give the Lord my all NOW.  Elder Howie also got his Dear John and it was super funny because it was expected because she hasn't written him in a year.  We also ran into some college kids that invited us in and we showed them "Earthly Father, Heavenly Father" and you could feel the spirit in the room and what grabbed them was after Elder Howie bore his testimony they said, "It's like you're just so sure."  Over all it was a good day in Aberdeen.

Oct 2, 2013
Today was a calm day, looking out I can tell it's becoming Fall from all the leaves on the ground and it's gotten a lot colder.  Today we taught English and were pretty much at the Church all day because of meetings and doing reports and stuff like that.  We had a lesson with Steve and he kept getting caught on the trinity and he just kept trying to battle us even though he was trying not to look like it.  We showed him a talk from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland that made me really feel the spirit and couldn't have answered more clearly but then he just brought up "But it says in Mormon they are one."  Anyways, he needs to be humbled.

Oct 3, 2013
Today was really good.  We had interviews with President and received training on finding using Family History.  We are the first mission to implement some of the things relating to family history.  Make sure you guys go to FamilySearch.org and use it too. Part of it is that in order for us to teach people about it, we also need to do it ourselves which is going to be interesting  but I think it will be cool.  Tonight we were actually in Tori and we were talking to a man that loves family history and we used some of the ideas that they trained us with to get closer to him.  Interviews with President were amazing. I just love him.  He helped give me a lot of pointers and gave me a lot of hope.

Oct 4, 2013
Today was really good!  We visited Frank, an Italian chef that has taken many lessons from missionaries and actually read the Book of Mormon three times! But he was very set in his Roman catholic ways just because that's how he was brought up.  We invited them to conference and his wife was very interested.  We also taught another student girl that speaks Portuguese.  There are a ton of students around because school is back and we are next to RGU and we love teaching college kids.  Me and Elder Howie are getting along a lot better and it makes everything work out better.  He's super clean still but I'm learning a lot from him and the work is going really well!

Oct 5, 2013
Today was a day to remember in many ways.  We did service for the Goldies and took down wall paper and it was nah' bad.  Then we took all our records and started digitizing them and let's just say we have a ways to go.  We were going to have an amazing day and have a lesson every half hour until conference then they would all stay and watch it afterwards.  But all three of the people cancelled.  That was  SUPER LAME!  But conference really made up for it.  Then we ended the night at the Brewsters with all the missionaries and that was super fun.  Here they have the Saturday broadcast at 5:00-7:00 p.m.  Then they replay Priesthood tomorrow at 12:00 and the rest are at night.  I'm super excited.

Oct 6, 2013
Today was amazing!  Listening to conference and I took some amazing notes and Elder Holland gave an amazing talk that spoke to me.  Then President Monson just showed to me that He is the true prophet.  I also liked how they really talked about missionary work and the role of the members.  I have pages of notes and I just know I have a lot to learn and the spirit is really helping me with that.
"Our Ward and quorum don't belong to us."  - Gerald Causse'
"Stand up, walk tall in God's love."  -Uchtdorf
"Hope is never lost!"  - Holland
"Now is the time for everyone to labor in the vineyard."  -Ballard
"I gave him to you because I knew you would love him."  -Eyring





No comments:

Post a Comment