Monday, March 17, 2014

Trying to mix things up



I haven’t heard the name Colin since I have been here but maybe I’ll see a bunch randomly.  This week was a good growing week.  So every time you get a new companion, things change a little because this week it’s almost like a new area. Sadly our success has dropped, but the things we do are a little different. Since the beginning of the transfer we go by less actives and chap doors on each side of them.  We try to mix things up but just because where we are and there really isn’t much in Airdrea to mix things up we pretty much chap.  We haven’t gotten invited in for a long time. I’ve only been invited in like 2 or 3 times on my mission so far. This part is about as bad as Ireland.  Elder Patterson said as far as people on benefits, almost everyone we see doesn’t have a job because they can almost make more money on benefits than they would with some jobs. I’m not saying there aren’t people that don’t work or need benefits because they actually need them.  But, the people we work with literally watch TV all day and the high point of their day is to go to the store for food. You would think then they would have plenty of time to want to talk to us but I can’t think of how many times people tell me they are busy but they have like one thing to do that entire day that lasts an hour.  So, it gets frustrating.  We went by Bill, hoping some improvement happened but nothing has happened since last time.
Now for a good thing of this week. We taught a lesson to a woman named Mary.  she knocked on the door and when he opened the door she was shouting words to him behind the door and it was way obvious to us but she walked in and just said, “Hey boys.”  I just said, I’m guessing you know who we are. She said, “Yes, I know about your book and John Smith.”  It’s funny how people all around the world always say John Smith.  She said, “I don’t want to hurt your feelings, so I won’t talk.”  Like she was about to break this big news to us.   We just looked at her and said, “No matter what you say, we have heard worse, c'mon tell us.”  She said, “I think John Smith is a con man.”  I said, “Well, how do you know that if you haven’t read the book or studied anything about him?”  She just said, “No.”  and we just said, “Well then how can you say that if you know nothing about it?  I don’t say apples will kill you if I’ve never had one!” The problem with a lot of people, is they are brought up with thoughts that are not their own.  She said to us later after accepting a Book of Mormon, “Well, I’m Catholic and Bill and I know it’s something you can’t leave.”  Even though they haven’t been to mass for 30 or more years. We later just said, “Well, what do you believe, because honestly I want to know how people gain joy. She said, “Well, I believe in the big bang theory and I don’t believe in Christ.”  (So how are you Catholic?)  At the end, we gave her our information and a Book of Mormon and she said she would read it to know more, but she wouldn’t give us her information.  But I know that because that book is the most powerful book on the earth, so powerful that if anyone were to read it with good intent, and hope in their heart, then they will get closer to God.  And, how do you get closer than contacting back the missionaries. I know this church is true. I also know that I am serving the best mission ever!
Sorry if this email is not understandable. I love you mom and I hope I see Colin soon.

Letter home arrived Tuesday, April 1, 2014                                  Airdrie Scotland

Dearest Family,
March 10, 2014
For P-Day we went into a kilt shop and found out the cheapest kilt they had was 300 quid so we turned around.  Then we went to the church and watched Mormon Channel videos and the new version of "Prophet of the Restoration".

March 11, 2014
Today was actually just a really good day.  We talked to a man on a bench that said he was the scariest man in Coatbridge. We gave him a Book of Mormon.  That's promising and the weather was amazing!

March 12, 2014
Today we had a lesson with David Orick that was pretty weird because he just called us and wanted to see us randomly, but it was good because I could tell we made some ground.  Hopefully he will just go to church!!

March 13, 2014
Today we just had a pretty intense weekly planning with just talk about what we can do for ideas of finding and just being better.  Things are going to be a lot better now that we know how each of us work and all that.

March 14, 2014
Today was super bad and just stressful.  Every single appointment cancelled within 10 minutes, even our back ups and plans for tomorrow.

March 15, 2014
Today the Blacks just tore into American clothing, mainly just baggy clothes and when people wear shorts and t shirts all the time, AKA me back home.  Because here people care a lot about their looks, except their teeth, which is ironic.  Then you will also see what we call NEDS (Non educated delinquents) and you can always spot them because they are always wearing matching sweat pants and sweat shirts.

March 16, 2014
So David Orick baled on church again but later that night we had an amazing missionary fireside.  We had everyone split into groups and go into rooms with RMs from the ward to share their experiences from their mission and answer questions.  It was just really good and everything worked out amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment